I've been rather quiet since Donald Trump was elected as the next president of the United States of America. I'm not one to complain about something you can't change, it's usually a waste of energy. For example, how much are people going to talk about Hillary Clinton's national vote lead increasing when that's not how we elect our president?
Instead I prefer to take stock of the situation we are in, and determine what I can do to better it.
A future president Trump has mobilized me to support causes I believe in. Causes that I worry may be undermined by four years of his presidency.
I encourage you to take a look at the causes I've supported recently and think about supporting some yourself.
- Supports open-source encryption tools that can better protect the communications of journalists and sources. This includes the popular Signal app.
- Encourages the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual, educational content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge. This includes Wikipedia - You know, the site where you look up everything.
- Defending net neutrality against legislation introduced by big cable companies and allies in Congress.
- Helps low-income families, seniors, and single parents pay past-due water bills.
Welcoming Immigrants and Refugees
- Supporting newcomers to the US who are in need of basic necessities. I don't have a specific link handy as my wife organized this. We fulfilled an Amazon Wishlist of items a family needed, and they were mailed directly to them.
- Paying extra for wind-sourced energy from Xcel Energy.